For the next 365 days I will take a picture of myself. Each day/picture will have a part of my body in it. I am looking forward to this challenge and being able to see myself and body in a new light. I am hoping for grow as an artist and a person.

I paint self-portraits because I am the person I know best. -Frida Kahlo

Please Enjoy...

Sunday, February 6, 2011

48



Yesterday afternoon, Nick, the girls and I were invited to celebrate Vietnamese New Year with our friend Nena and her family in their home. There was an alter set up for the deceased and I brought a picture of my Grandma (for those of you who don’t know me all that well, she was like a second mother to me) to place upon it.

The Vietnamese believe that their deceased ancestors will visit the family for the holiday. Alters are decorated in the homes with incense, flowers, and photographs of deceased relatives. A tray full of fruit, coins, and a tall vase of blossoms are placed in front of the alter symbolizing good luck and prosperity”

Nena came up to me while I placing my Grandma’s picture on the alter and told me about her beloved deceased relatives and the ritual. I felt my tears coming, as her words were so full of love, comforting and true to my soul. I will never forget this day and the words that she spoke to me.

7 comments:

  1. Oh Heather, I have tears. That is so touching. I wish I could have put a picture of my Papa there. I sometimes feel his presence too. xoxoxo

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love this, Heather. I'm so glad you were able to go and honor loved ones yesterday.

    ReplyDelete
  3. What a sweet story. How comforting and freeing to be able to share those kinds of emotions with someone who feels the same!

    ReplyDelete
  4. This is such a lovely tradition and what a heartwarming post.

    My father passed away when I was 12 years old. I feel he is present at every holiday gathering, but often feel as if I am the only one aware of his presence. I love how this altar brings those who have transitioned before us directly into the gathering, acknowledging their presence by honoring them and our memories.

    Beautiful.

    <3

    ReplyDelete
  5. Much love to all of you who have lost loves ones so dear to you.

    I feel so blessed to have experienced this and be able to use it more often (even in just everyday life). I often feel my grandma with me, and this just helps to magnify that feeling. <3

    ReplyDelete
  6. This post and photo was really inspiring, Heather, I think we should all take your lead and embrace traditions other than the ones we grew up in.

    ReplyDelete